Scarborough: Not a Loser, but Not a Leader
A fascinating bit of gossip from Joe Scarborough, on his MSNBC Morning Joe Show (via rcp, which has video):
Joe Scarborough: "I have got to clear this up. Mika heard two days ago on Capitol Hill democrats all saying the same thing. And that is, THIS PRESIDENT HAS BEEN INVISIBLE, HE IS NOT A LEADER. They said this all behind closed doors. Democratic leaders, democratic rank-and-file. In fact, 40, 50 of the most powerful democrats on the hill. I will just stop right there. The complaints were all the same. THE PRESIDENT HAS VANISHED. He has left us here alone again like he did with health care. Where is he? NOW, THEY DIDN'T CALL HIM A LOSER, BUT THEY SURE AS HELL DIDN'T CALL HIM A LEADER."
When the team turns on the quarterback, they aren’t likely to win the game.
White House, Republicans Strike Tentative Deal To Raise Debt Ceiling
ABC News' Jonathan Karl reports:
ABC News has learned that REPUBLICANS AND THE WHITE HOUSE HAVE STRUCK A TENTATIVE DEAL TO RAISE THE DEBT CEILING BEFORE THE AUG. 2 DEADLINE. It's not done yet, but here is the framework of the tentative deal they have worked out, according to a source familiar with the negotiations:
• DEBT CEILING INCREASE OF UP TO $2.8 TRILLION
• SPENDING CUTS OF ROUGHLY $1 TRILLION
• Vote on the Balanced Budget Amendment
• SPECIAL COMMITTEE TO RECOMMEND CUTS OF $1.8 TRILLION (or whatever it takes to add up to the total of the debt ceiling increase)
• Committee must make recommendations before Thanksgiving recess
• If Congress does not approve those cuts by late December, AUTOMATIC ACROSS-THE-BOARD CUTS GO INTO EFFECT, INCLUDING CUTS TO DEFENSE AND MEDICARE.
A good deal for the Republicans considering the only control ½ of the congress. And it is also a good deal for the American public.
You’re going to Pay
A catchy reminder what the debate is all about in Washington.
Common Sense and a Rising Star
Senator Marco Rubio talks sense to America.
A Congressman’s Gaffe or He Told the Truth?
In one minute you can hear the truth about spending.