The Unthinkable happened on Tuesday--Will it happen in November?
As we see more and more about yesterday's primary elections one thing has become clear. What used to be unthinkable is now happening. Incumbents with all their advantages (name recognition, money, endorsements from other incumbents) are no longer safe.
Arlen Spector lost his bid to become a full term Democrat senator despite President Obama's "I love this man" endorsement, Ed Rendell's tireless work for him and even the backing of the AFL and the SEIU in getting out the vote. The Washington Examiner calls this the Twilight of the Establishment.
Hugh Hewett has come out to recommend Johathan Alter's new book: The Promise: President Obama, Year One.
Because of his frequent appearances on MSNBC and his left-of-center punditry, conservatives might be tempted to skip Jonathan Alter’s new book: The Promise: President Obama, Year One.
That would be a mistake, and a large one.
The Promise is a riveting though sympathetic look inside the Obama White House, and very revealing about the new president’s few strengths and many weaknesses.
Read Hugh's article and see if this book is something you would like to read. To me it looks good.
Why Do People Vote Democrat?
I got this in my emails this morning.
When your friends can't explain why they voted for Democrats, give them this list. They can then pick a reason .
10. I voted Democrat because I believe oil companies' profits of 4% on a gallon of gas are obscene but the government taxing the same gallon of gas at 15% isn't.
9. I voted Democrat because I believe the government will do a better job of spending the money I earn than I would (I need a babysitter).
8. I voted Democrat because Freedom of speech is fine as long as nobody is offended by it.
7. I voted Democrat because I'm way too irresponsible to own a gun, and I know that my local police are all I need to protect me from murderers and thieves.
6. I voted Democrat because I believe that people who can't tell us if it will rain on Friday can tell us that the polar ice caps will melt away in ten years if I don't start driving a Prius.
5. I voted Democrat because I'm not concerned about the slaughter of millions of babies through abortion so long as we keep all death row inmates alive.
4. I voted Democrat because I think illegal aliens have a right to free health care, education, and Social Security benefits.
3. I voted Democrat because I believe that business should not be allowed to make profits for themselves. They need to break even and give the rest away to the government for redistribution as the democrats see fit.
2. I voted Democrat because I believe liberal judges need to rewrite the Constitution every few days to suit some fringe kooks who would never get their agendas past the voters.
1. I voted Democrat because my head is so firmly planted up my ass it's unlikely that I'll ever have another point of view.
Illegal Immigration and crime--the other side of the coin
We hear a lot about illegals and crime. But here is an interesting article that brings you another perspective. There were just 18 murders in El Paso last year, in a city of 736,000 people. To compare, Baltimore, with 637,000 residents, had 234 killings. In fact, since the beginning of 2008, there were nearly as many El Pasoans murdered while visiting Juarez (20) than there were murdered in their home town (23).
The reasons are scattered throughout the piece. If you are a liberal you should love the article. If you are a conservative you should think about the article.
How to tell a MODERATE TERRORIST
Reuters reports that the Obama administration wants to help shore up “moderates” within Hezbollah. Michael Rubin helps us by describing what a moderate terrorist is.
In order to help the White House identify terrorist moderates, I offer this list:
Hezbollah: The moderates are the ones who make car bombs only out of midsize vehicles rather than SUVs or trucks.
Hamas: Moderates still believe in annihilating Israel, but they refrain from advocating throwing all the Jews into the sea because of environmental impact; they propose burying some instead.
Taliban: Ask Colin Powell. It’s been almost nine years since he spoke of moderate Taliban, so his definition might be ready by now. But, generally, moderate Taliban dilute the acid somewhat before they toss it into unveiled women’s faces.
Al Qaeda: The moderates are the ones who would have taken down only one World Trade Center tower, rather than both.
Michael Rubin helps us by describing what a moderate terrorist is.