Recently Chris Matthews had a show in which he excoriated the right for their “war” on science. Matthews and his guest talked about Al Gore and global warning and how Gore’s “Inconvenient Truth” was such an excellent documentary about Climate Change.
In fact, an Inconvenient Truth became required watching in British schools. When someone sued in court, a judge determined there were eleven falsehoods in the documentary which had to be identified when it was shown in schools.
That got me thinking. What other “conspiracy theories” does the left simply accept as true? Here’s a partial list of the screwball things the left (or at least a portion on the left) believe as “gospel” truth.
- Aids was invented in a US laboratory and was designed to infect the AA community
- We invaded Iraq for oil.
- We invaded Afghanistan to build a pipeline across the country
- Trig Palin is not Sarah Palin's son, but her grandson (Bristol supposedly is his mother)
- George Bush stole the 2000 election and Al Gore actually won Florida
- George Bush knew about 9/11 and did nothing or actually caused 9/11 to happen.
- Bush lied when he went to congress for authorization for the Iraq War.
- The TEA Party is a racist organization
- Jared Loughner was a member of the Tea Party
- Sarah Palin was to blame for the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords
- Enright (the NY cabbie stabber) was a right wing zealot (turned out he worked for an "Interfaith" group which supports the Cordoba Mosque and was actually quite drunk).
- J. Patrick Bedell, the Pentagon shooter, was reviled in the Leftist blogosphere as a right wing teapartier. Turns out he was suffering from Bush Derangement Syndrome, and was a 9/11 Truther
- The IRS plane crasher was a TEA Party member
- The right uses "code" words to mask their racism. Some of the code words include: Arrogant, urban schools, states' rights, professor, affirmative access, birth certificate, entitlements, community organizer, competition, government schools, charter schools, vouchers, opposition to reparations, deficits, free enterprise, private ownership of property, limited govrernment, etc.
- There was a "vast right wing conspiracy" against Bill Clinton that created the Lewinsky affair. It has since been updated to include everything the right does and it is financed by the Koch brothers.
- There was no fiscal crisis in Wisconsin until Scott Walker and the Republicans cut taxes on the rich.
- Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy is the main ingredient in the deficit Obama currently has (it's actually about 5%).
- Wall Street caused the fiscal meltdown while Fannie and Freddie had nothing to do with it.
- Brietbart hacked former Representative Anthony Weiner's twitter account and sent out the lewd picture of Weiner